Welcome to the Bookish Games, a variation of the game Mafia (aka Werewolf) that is hosted here at A Bookish Heart quarterly. For each game, a popular YA book is chosen to be the theme and players are assigned different character roles and powers. Their end goal is to ensure that their team is the last one standing, even if they don’t know who their other teammates are!
If you are not signed up in the game, please refrain from commenting on these posts (otherwise they will be deleted). Instead, you can contact me on Twitter to gain access to a page where you can discuss the game with other players once they are eliminated.
The Eliminated Players
Day / Night One
- [DAY] Sam @ The Little Munchkin Reader as Hannah Abbott, Townie (no special powers), Team Dumbledore’s Army
- [NIGHT] Lillian @ Books and Cake as Terry Boot, Back-up Cop (turns into a cop w/ investigative powers if current cop is eliminated), Team Dumbledore’s Army
- Fionnuala @ Books for Birds Blog – Only commented once on “Day One”
- Megan @ Adrift on Vulcan – Only commented once on “Day One”
It is now Day Two
Everyone has until Wednesday 4pm EDT to discuss suspicions and cast their votes. Once the deadline has been reached, whoever has the most votes will be eliminated!
It’s that time again! The Bookish Games are back, and this time it’s Harry Potter themed.
Now, if you have no idea what I’m talking about, I recommend checking out the last version of The Bookish Games (themed The Hunger Games). It’s more or less an interactive game that takes place in the comments for a month or so, based off the game Mafia or Werewolf which you may have had experience playing with in real life.
Basically, there are the good guys and the bad guys. The bad guys know who they are and they know who is on their team. They get together each “Night” in the game and choose some poor person to kill. Their whole goal is to eliminate everyone so they’re the last people standing. The good guys though? They know nothing. Instead, they have to use what is said in the comments and what deaths happen at “Night” to try and figure out what the heck is going on. Their only chance to get rid of the baddies is through a group vote that happens every “Day”.
It sounds really confusing, and it slightly is, but those who sign up will be given a more in-depth description of the game. You can also look at the Game Rules and General Rules on The Rules page. (The best way to learn it is by playing it though. So don’t worry! Everyone starts off slightly confused.)
The game is going to start on the last day of November, Saturday the 30th, which is two weeks from today. Sign-ups for the game will be open for a week, but only the first twenty-four players will be guaranteed a spot in the game. Depending on how many people are interested, I may be able to include a couple more roles to fit in extra people. If not, anyone extra will be placed on the Replacement List to be put into the game if other players withdraw. Those who are in the top twenty-four spots will be sent an email by next Saturday with further directions on how to play the game along with their super secret roles.
To sign up, just leave a comment below! (I will be updating the sign-up list on this post.)
- Shelly @ Readiculous Reads
- Lauren @ Lose Time Reading
- Charlotte @ Gypsy Reviews
- Briana @ Pages Unbound
- Kelley @ Another Novel Read
- Lillian @ Books and Cake
- Charli @ To Another World
- Laura @ Music Plus Books
- Sarah @ GirlReporter
- Jenn @ A Glo-Worm Reads
- Lauren @ The Prince of Ink
- Shannelle @ The Art of Escapism
- Rita @ Weaving Pages
- Amy @ Amy Bookworm
- Sam @ The Little Munchkin Reader
- Sana @ Artsy Musings of a Bibliophile
- Megan @ Adrift on Vulcan
- Eve @ PaperGrey
- Cayce @ Fighting Dreamer
- Fionnuala @ Books for Birds Blog
- Mel @ The Daily Prophecy
- Leanne @ Literary Excursion
- Annie @ The Runaway Reader
- Emma @ A World of Books
- Orli @ Blame My Bookshelf
- Miranda @ Tempest Books
- Christina @ Christina Reads YA
- Nara @ Looking for the Panacea
- Gaby @ Queen Ella Bee Reads
- Daphne @ Winged Reviews
- Terri @ Starlight Book Reviews
- Nikki @ The Paper Sea
The Eliminated Players
- Janita @ Book, Interrupted (Boy from District 5) was eliminated during Day 8. She was a member of Team Katniss.
TEAM TRIBUTES HAS WON THE GAME!
The Behind the Scenes Magic
The Bookish Games: The Hunger Games edition page contains the basic recap and player count that I had been updating throughout the entire page. There is also a link section on that page with four mysterious pages. Here is the basic description for each page, along with the password if you would like to check it out. (And yes, my passwords are super-creative, I know.)
- Page 0-2 – Game Summary (password – secretpage) – This page contains the full play-by-play of what went down each Day/Night including major suspects, who was eliminated by which voters, and what each person with a Night power did at Night. There is also two small notes about details in the games that players might not have noticed.
- Page 1-2 – Team Katniss “Night” Discussion Area (password – katnissftw) – Team Katniss players could only communicate at “Night” using this page. They had to decide who they wanted to target for their kill, along with which player they wanted to send to complete the kill.
- Page 2-2 – Team Tribute “Mason” Discussion Area (password – letsgoteam) – The two Masons of the game (Kelley and Tory) could communicate at any time and knew of each other’s alliance. Unfortunately, they were not able to utilize this power very much before Kelley was eliminated.
- Page 3-2 – Dead Tribute Discussion Area (password – ohnoimdead) – Those eliminated from the game were allowed to continue discussing and speculating the game in this private area, if they so desired.
Want to Play?
I have briefly mentioned it in the past, but in case you have missed it…
The Bookish Games will be back in December with a whole new theme – HARRY POTTER! Specifically, the game play is based off of Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix. I have the game planned out with roles and alliances sorted, and I am looking forward to seeing how it goes.
Sign-ups won’t be until November, but if you are interested to be put on a mailing list to be contacted when they open please comment below! Those who show interest will be emailed a reminder in November when sign-ups begin. As of right now, I know that there will be a limit of 24 players in the game same as before. I am not yet sure if I will be dividing it between new and old players, or if it will just be first come first serve. Your best bet either way is to join the mailing list so you can be notified as soon as sign-ups open!
The Eliminated Players
- Jessylyn @ Books Over Flowers (Katniss, Girl from District 12) was eliminated during Day 7. She was a member of Team Katniss. She had a special power: Bulletproof Godfather. She was in charge of Team Katniss and could not be killed at Night.
- Mel @ The Daily Prophecy (“Ryan”, Boy from District 3) was eliminated during Night 7. She was a member of Team Tributes.
For those not in the game: If you have no idea what is going on, there is a link to the left called What is This? which contains a run down of what is going on. There is also a discussion page for those not playing in the game where you can stop by and discuss the game.
For those in the game: It is now Day Eight. Everyone has until Wednesday 6pm EDT to discuss what has happened and to cast their votes. Once the deadline has been reached, whoever hast he most votes will be eliminated! As with last week, I cannot guarantee I will be on right at the deadline to reveal the results and move things forward, but I will do my best! Thanks for your understanding.
May the odds be ever in your favor!