The Bookish Games
Welcome to The Bookish Games, an online version of the party game Mafia that has been floating around the internet since 2013. If you haven’t participated in the Games before and what to know what it’s all about, be sure to visit the links provided in the menu (to the left on computers, top of the page for mobiles). There you will find a rundown of how the game works, the rules all players must follow, and archives of the previous editions of The Bookish Games.
The main thing to be aware of if you are thinking about participating in The Bookish Games and haven’t played before is that this game requires a major time commitment. At the very least, you will have to dedicate an hour or two each week to The Bookish Games if you want to play it properly. The Bookish Games involves reading comments left by other players (generally over 100 comments per game Day), analysing information from comments and player deaths, contributing to the Day discussion, and submitting the Night Action form for your special power (if any). Please take this into consideration before signing up to play.
(But also, don’t let that warning scare you off because these games ARE are a lot of fun. Don’t believe me? Check out this page of testimonials where players from the past discussed why they love The Bookish Games.)
Bring Your Own Character 2.0 Edition
Usually we take a couple months off hosting The Bookish Games once an edition has come to an end, but as the world is a bit of a mess right now we thought some players could use the distraction now. As a result, we’re looking to jump right back into things with another edition of The Bookish Games: Bring Your Own Character edition.
Here’s the main thing you need to know if you didn’t participate in the previous BYOC edition: nothing in this set-up is pre-determined. Unlike other editions where we open sign-ups with a prepared player list and set-up, this edition is totally up to you.
If you want to play, complete the sign up form below letting us know your top three choices for book characters and their associated roles. The rules for these choices are as follows:
- Please include at least one Town-aligned choice. We will do our best to give everyone their first-picks for characters/roles but unfortunately there aren’t many anti-Town slots available. Be sure to give us at least one Town option, just in case.
- Roles can be pulled from The Bookish Games Roles page or the MafiaWiki – or, if you’re feeling really crazy, you can even come up with your own original role. Note: The moderators hold the right to adjust the roles as deemed necessary. We’ll contact the player to discuss options before making a final decision.
- Do your best to ensure the character and role you are pairing together makes sense. While requesting to play Harry Potter as a Serial Killer may be a fun idea, it just doesn’t quite make sense. Creativity is encouraged, but also be mindful of the source material.
There will also be an option for you to suggest a set-up twist in the sign-up form. If you’re feeling inspired, give us an idea! The BYOC edition never guarantees a balanced game, but we’ll do our best to keep it reasonable and fun.
Sign-Up to Play!
The deadline for sign-ups is Wednesday, April 29th with the games starting on Wednesday, May 6th. As this game does not involve a premade set-up, there is no limit to the amount of players who can sign up to play. Anyone and everyone is welcome, as long as each person agrees to follow the rules.
NOTE: We must have at least FIVE participants sign up in order for this game to proceed.
Sign ups are now closed!
- Shannon @ It Starts at Midnight (she/her)
- Anne @amengelhart (she/her)
- Harker @ The Hermit Librarian (they/them)
- Amber @ YA Indulgences (she/her)
- Kritika @ spidersilksnow (she/her)
- Beth @ ArtemisHi (she/her)
- Kerrie @ lovekerrie (she/her)
- Greg @ Greg’s Book Haven (he/him)
- Anna @AnnaJJacobson1 (she/her)
- Jeann @ Happy Indulgence (she/her)
- Nicole @tardigradeTay (she/her)
- Megan Rose @Megan_Roze (she/her)
- @mhisreading (she/her)
- MeyliaAndBlackTea (she/her)
- Asti @ @astistenning (mod)
- Dana @DanaBartelt (mod)
- Inge @ingeswonderland
- Christine @ Captivated Reading
- Irene @ Boghunden
- Siran @ToukhanianSiran
- Meeghan @ Meeghan reads
- Amber (@BooksofAmber)
If you would like to be added to the Spectator Chat, a place where you can share your thoughts about the game with the moderators, eliminated players, and other spectators, please leave a comment below.
Thanks in advance to everyone who signs up! We’re looking forward to seeing what you come up with.
❤ Asti and Dana